- Markup & data models: HTML, XML, CSS. OpenAPI. Epub, EAD, EAC-CPF, TEI. RDF. Dublin Core, MARC. FHIR, HL7.
- Accessibility standards and tools: WCAG, WAI-ARIA, ATAG, Section 508. VPATs.
- Other: Apache, Nginx. PostgreSQL, MySQL, SSMS. AWS, Azure. Microservices. REST APIs. OAuth 2.0, OpenID Connect (OIDC), Okta, Auth0, Keycloak, privacyIDEA. Docker, Kubernetes. Git, Perforce, CVS, Subversion.
Principal Engineer / Owner Suberic Networks, LLC 2016-Present
Freelance software development and accessibility review. Specialties include publishing and libraries, REST APIs, and accessibility. Architecture and development (Python, some PHP), audit, accessibility remediation (including ReactJS, AngularJS, JQuery).
Principal Software Engineer Brio Systems 2021-2023
Responsible for architecture and development of HIPAA-compliant electronic health record (EHR) systems for laboratory tests, written in Python (Flask, SQLAlchemy), on PostgreSQL, deployed on AWS with Docker and Kubernetes. Promoted to Principal Engineer from Senior Engineer after six months.
- Architecture and development of front-end, back-end, and microservices, working closely with Product.
- Development of FHIR-compliant REST APIs for communicating with React SPA front-ends and clients.
- Setting architecture standards. Hiring, mentoring, and training new engineers. Documentation.
- Security engineering, testing, and architecture. Full ownership of switch to cloud-based IAM (Auth0, Okta). Some DevOps responsibilities, including Kubernetes (with Helm, Terraform) and GitHub Actions for deployment.
Software Engineer NGP VAN / EveryAction 2019-2020
Software Engineer for organizing and fundraising platform, working in a .NET environment. Primarily C#, with some Transact-SQL, React, and Visual Basic, deployed with TeamCity. Primary responsibility was API frameworks, including:
- Replaced a purpose-built Salesforce synchronization with general use REST APIs.
- Designed, advocated for, documented, and implemented REST best practices.
- Assisted with creation of a functional test framework for a non-unit-testable set of asynchronous APIs.
- Developed a new method of load testing our APIs with Apache JMeter.
- As a hackathon project, I designed a new method of security testing our APIs with Burp Suite and Python, revealing potential vulnerabilities. I won the award from management for the best project, leading to changes in company-wide processes.
- Provided accessibility expertise throughout the company. Worked cross-team to improve accessibility. Created VPATs.
Software Engineer Safari Books Online and O'Reilly Media 2014-2016
- Sole developer of microservice APIs, deployed on Docker, for reviews, and for Kaltura video play.
- Performance tuning: Identified and fixed major deadlocks in our task scheduler.
- Coded new features including a publisher-facing content management system and the audiobook model.
- Coded accessibility enhancements, trained colleagues, tested products, integrated accessibility into automated tests, created VPATs.
Digital Resources Archivist Tufts University Digital Collections and Archives 2007-2014
Digital Initiatives Librarian Brandeis University Library and Technology Services 2006-2007
Managed the scholarly content management system. Led implementation of university-wide digital asset management using DSpace.
Selected Pro Bono Professional Activities
- Invited Expert, Publishing Working Group. World Wide Web Consortium, 2017-Present
- Invited Expert, Digital Publishing Interest Group. World Wide Web Consortium, 2014-2017
- Some coursework completed toward a Master of Science in Computer Science, Tufts University.
- Master of Science in Library and Information Science, Simmons College.
- Master of Arts in Children's Literature, Simmons College.
- Bachelor of Arts in English (minor in Computer Science), Haverford College.