Curriculum Vitae, Deborah Kaplan
Selections from publications, presentations, courses, trainings, and professional activities.
Publications: Technology and Archives
Publications: Literature and Media Studies
- "'Why would anyone want to read such stories?': The Distinctions between Genre Romances and Slash Fiction. New approaches to popular romance fiction: critical essays. Eds. Sarah S. G. Frantz and Eric Selinger.
- "Disrupted Expectations: Young/old Protagonists in Diana Wynne Jones's Novels." Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts. 21.2 (2010). The author retains copyright and allows reuse under a CC
by-nc-sa 3.0 License.
- With Rebecca Rabinowitz. "'Beautiful, or Thick, or Right, or Complicated': Queer Heterosexuality in the Young Adult Works of Cynthia Voigt." Straight Writ Queer: Non-Normative Expressions of Heterosexuality in Literature. Ed. Richard Fantina: McFarland, 2006.
- "Construction of Fan Fiction Character through Narrative." Fan Fiction and Fan Communities in the Age of the Internet. Eds. Karen Hellekson and Kristina Busse: McFarland, 2006.
- "Read All Over: Postmodern Resolution in Macaulay's Black and White." Children's Literature Association Quarterly 28 (2003).
- "Diana Wynne Jones and the World-Shaping Power of Language." Diana Wynne Jones: An Exciting and Exacting Wisdom. Eds. Teya Rosenberg, et al. New York: Peter Lang, 2002. Vol. 1 of Studies in Children's Literature. Ed.
Presentations: Technology, Accessibility, and Archives
- "User-Created Content: Maintaining accessibility and usability in social media platforms, learning management systems, and other sites where we don't control the content." Global Accessibility Awareness Day, Watertown. 2014. (This presentation I created was also offered at LinuxConf Australia by a colleague.)
- "CIDER: a homegrown collection
code4lib New England. New Haven, 2012.
- "Accessibility in
Libraries." code4lib New England.
New Haven, 2012.
- "Encouraging Developers with Disabilities: Tools,
Communities and Resources." Boston Accessibility
Unconference. Cambridge, 2011.
- "Accessibility and Open Source at
Boston Accessibility Unconference. Cambridge,
- With Anne Sauer and Eliot Wilczek.
"Archival description in OAI-ORE". The fifth
annual Open Repositories Conference (or10). Madrid,
- "Choosing a Digital Asset Management System that's Right for
You." New England Archivists. University of Connecticut, Storrs,
Presentations: Literature and Media Studies
- "Disrupted expectations: young/old
protagonists in Diana Wynne Jones' novels." Diana
Wynne Jones Conference. Bristol, UK, 2009.
- Deborah Kaplan and Amy Stern. "'Twenty Pages Left. Can't Wait.': Young Adult Novel As
Television Series and Television Series As Young Adult
Novel." Popular Culture Association / American
Culture Association Conference. Boston, MA, 2007.
"The Distinctions between Slash Fiction
and Genre Romances." Console-ing Passions. University
of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, 2006.
- With Rebecca Rabinowitz. "'Beautiful, or Thick, or Right, or Complicated': Queer
Heterosexuality in the Young Adult Works of Cynthia Voigt."
Northeast Modern Language Association Conference.
Cambridge, MA, 2005.
- "Construction of Gender in Three Novels."
Children's Literature Association Conference.
Roanoake, VA, 2000.
Graduate and undergraduate courses
- "Web Accessibility for the 21st Century." OSCON. July 2013
- "Accessibility: What does it mean?" Tufts University Libraries. December 2011.
- "Job Search Skills for Students with Disabilities." Simmons College Career Resource Center. February 2005.
- "Job Survival Skills for Students with Disabilities." Simmons College Career Resource Center. February 2005.
Professional Activities and Honors