Children's Literature 414 (Fall 2016)
Bibliography of Some Reference Works in the Field
This bibliography just provides a brief sampling of some of the
reference materials available for scholarly study of fantasy and
science fiction. This is not a comprehensive list.
Simmons Library guide to doing research in children's
- Barron, Neil,ed. Anatomy of wonder: a critical guide
to science fiction. 2004. PN3448.S45 A52 2004
- Bettelheim, Bruno. The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales. 1977. GR550.B47
- Clute, John. The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Fantasy. 1997. Reference PN3435 .E53 1997
- Clute, John. The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Science Fantasy. 1993. Reference PN3433.4 .E53 1995
- Egoff, Sheila. Worlds within: Children's Fantasy from the Middle Ages to Today. 1988. Reserves PR830.F3 E43 1988
- Goldthwaite, John. The natural history of make-believe : a guide to the principal works of Britain, Europe, and America. 1996. PN1009.A1 G569 1996
- Gose, Eliot. Mere Creatures: a Study of Modern Fantasy Tales for Children. 1988. PR888.F3 G68 1988
- Hunt, Peter and Millicent Lenz. Alternative worlds in fantasy fiction. 2004. PR830.F3 H867
- Manlove, C. N. From Alice to Harry Potter: children's fantasy in England. 2003. E-book or PR149 .F35 M36 2003
- Mendlesohn, Farah. Rhetorics of Fantasy. 2008.
PS374.F27 M46 2008
- Mendlesohn, Farah. The Inter-Galactic Playground: A
Critical Study of Children's and Teens' Science Fiction.
2009. Reserves PN3433.8 .M46 2009
- Salo, Dorothea, and Jen Stevens. Fantasy authors: a research guide. 2008.
- Sandner, David. Fantastic literature: a critical reader. 2004. PN56.F34 S36 2004
- Sandner, David. The Fantastic Sublime: Romanticism and transcendence in 19th-century children's fantasy literature. 1996. PR990.S26 1996
- Sullivan III, C. W., ed. Young Adult Science Fiction., 1999.
- Swinfen, Ann. In Defence of Fantasy: a study of the genre in English and American literature since 1945. 1984.
- Tatar, Maria. The classic fairy tales: texts, criticism. 1999.
- Warner, Marina. From the beast to the blonde: on fairy tales and their tellers. 1995. GR550 .W38 1995
- White, Donna. A Century of Welsh Myth in Children's Literature. 1998.
- Yolen, Jane. Touch magic: fantasy, faerie & folklore in the literature of childhood. 1981. Reserves GR43.C4 Y64 1981
- Zipes, Jack. Happily ever after: fairy tales, children, and the culture industry. 1997.
- Zipes, Jack. Fairy tales and the art of subversion: the classical genre for children and the process of civilization. 1991.
Children's Literature 414: a Renaissance in the Fantastic by Deborah Kaplan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting the author.