Greg Laker is the father of Mig
, and Aunt Maria
's nephew, in Black Maria
. Most of our knowledge about him comes from comments which Mig lets fall in passing, or which her mother Betty
- He lived in Cranbury-on-Sea and went to school in Minehurst with Antony Green.
- He always kept very strong ties to Cranbury-on-Sea, and to Aunt Maria.
- He was shockingly callous when Betty fell down the stairs while pregnant with Mig.
- Mig looks like him.
- He and Chris never got along.
- He and Betty fought frequently.
- On more than one occasion, Betty prevented him from hitting Mig and/or Chris.
- He uses anger to cover up other feelings.
- He lies fairly often.
- He is cynical about people, and especially about relationships between the sexes.
- He talks about Betty in a joking yet sarcastic tone.
- He frequently took all the car keys with him when he left -- both Chris and Mig routinely broke into the family car.
- He has a recurrent stomach problem.
- He often forgot to wear his seatbelt.
- When the book starts, he had left Betty for a woman named Verena Bland.