For much of the book, Vierran is under the influence of the the Bannus and believes herself to be a teenager named Ann Stavely. As Vierran she has known Mordion Agenos before, but she doesn't recognise him as Ann.
As Ann, Vierran helps Mordion create Hume? from blood. The Bannus facilitates this, to circumvent an injunction placed on Vierran by Reigner One to "create a child" with Mordion.
Regarding Vierran's voices: Each of the voices are real people. The fact that they can communicate in this way is a sign that they are potential Reigners.
- The Boy is [Fitela Wolfson]?, a dragon-slayer and one of Martellian/Merlin?'s descendants. He is "Ann Stavely's" brother Martin under the influence of the Bannus.
- The Slave is Mordion Agenos, the Reigners' Servant?. In real life, Vierran and Mordion actually know each other, but neither had recognised the other as a Voice.
- The King is Sir Artegal, or Arthur Pendragon.
- The Prisoner is [Martellian Pender]?, or Merlin. In the Bannus field, he was Hume?.
- First Reigner - Mordion Agenos - The Slave
- Second Reigner - Vierran - Girl Child
- Third Reigner - [Martellian Pender]? - The Prisoner
- Fourth Reigner - Arthur Pendragon - The King
- Fifth Reigner - [Fitela Wolfson]? - The Boy
The Bannus has disguised itself as Yam the silver robot. At the end of the story, the Bannus is Yam (having made itself mobile - with Mordion's assistance, under the guise of repairs to Yam - whereas before, it was a box).
Mordion Agenos is the Reigners' Servant? and was trained by Reigner One (Orm Pender) along with five other children who perished in training.
r3m0t: Need to fetch book and finish this later on.
melodic mist: Helping you finish this.